Thursday, April 23, 2015

Stephen Fry: I am the victim of my own moods

Stephen Fry quotes:

How can one not be fond of something that the "Daily Mail" despises?

[on being gay] My first words, as I was being born... I looked up at my mother and said, "that's the last time I'm going up one of those".

My father was all brain and little heart.


[Fry's best friend is Hugh Laurie, whom he met while both were at Cambridge and with whom he has collaborated many times over the years. He was best man at Laurie's wedding and is godfather to all three of his children. - source]

I grew up in what seems now to me and to most cultural and broadcast historians to have been a golden age in television.

Television as the nation's fireplace, the hearth and the heart of the country, the focus of our communal cultural identity, that television is surely dead. It seems unlikely ever to return. Instead of being the nation's fireplace, TV is closer to being the nation's central heating. It's conveniently on in every room, it's less discernible, less of a focus, more of an ambient atmosphere.

To be human and to be adult means constantly to be in the grip of opposing emotions, to have daily to reconcile apparently conflicting tensions. I want this, but need that. I cherish this, but I adore its opposite too. I'm maddened by this institution yet I prize it above all others.

I sometimes wonder if you Americans aren't often fooled by our accent into detecting a brilliance that may not really be there.

Although, of course, anybody can talk about snouts in troughs, and go on about it, for journalists to do so is almost beyond belief, beyond belief. I know lots of journalists; I know more journalists than I know politicians. And I've never met a more venal and disgusting crowd of people when it comes to expenses and allowances.

Happiness is no respecter of persons.

It is a cliché that most clichés are true, but then, like most clichés, that cliché is untrue.

[on his mental problems] If unmedicated, there are times when I am so exuberant, so hyper, that I can go three or four nights without sleeping and I'm writing and I'm doing stuff and I'm so grandiose and so full of self-belief that it's almost impossible to deal with me. I can't stop speaking, I'm incredible, I go on shopping sprees... Fortunately one of the common signs of mania, or hyper-mania as it is known, is sexual exhibitionism. I don't have that as one of my brands, but others do.
...There are times when I'm going 'ha ha, yeah yeah' and inside I'm going 'I want to f***ing die. I...want...to...f***ing...die'. The fact that I am lucky enough not to have it [mental illness] so seriously doesn't mean that I won't one day kill myself, I may well.

[on disclosure in June 2013 that he had tried to commit suicide in 2012]
I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide. I would go as far as to tell you that I attempted it last year, so I'm not always happy - this is the first time I've said this in public, but I might as well. I'm president of Mind, and the whole point in my role, as I see it, is not to be shy and forthcoming about the morbidity and genuine nature of the likelihood of death amongst people with certain mood disorders. It was a close run thing. I took a huge number of pills and a huge [amount] of vodka and the mixture of them made my body convulse so much that I broke four ribs, but I was still unconscious. And, fortunately, the producer I was filming with at the time came into the hotel room and I was found in a sort of unconscious state and taken back to England and looked after. There is no 'why', it's not the right question. There's no reason. If there were a reason for it, you could reason someone out of it, and you could tell them why they shouldn't take their own life.

[in support of a proposed ban of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics because of anti-gay legislation in Russia] I am gay. I'm a Jew. My mother lost over a dozen of her family to Hitler's anti-semitism. Every time in Russia - and it is constantly - a gay teenager is forced into suicide, a lesbian 'correctively' raped, gay men and women beaten to death by neo-Nazi thugs while the Russian police stand idly by, the world is diminished and I, for one, weep anew at seeing history repeat itself.

We're human beings like everybody else and we believe first and foremost in love. At least 260 species of animal have been noted exhibiting homosexual behaviour but only one species of animal ever, so far as we know, has exhibited homophobic behaviour - and that's the human being. So ask which is really natural.
There are other faiths like Quakers and Congregationalists and Unitarians and the Liberal Reform part of the Jewish faith who are actually extremely keen. They feel their communion won't be complete unless it includes gay marriage because they believe in social justice and equality too. It's wrong, in a country like ours, which has an established Church, just because their more extreme end is screeching with outrage at the idea of this, that we are not allowed to be married. It's unfair on plenty of other religious people and it is misrepresenting what we require, which is only the same as anybody else, and that's to express our love in the fullest possible way of commitment.

[on the death of Peter O'Toole] Oh what terrible news. Farewell Peter O'Toole. I had the honour of directing him in a scene. Monster, scholar, lover of life, genius.

- source

I didn’t take coke because I was unhappy (at least I don’t think so). I took it because I really, really liked it.

The first rule of being a rebel is that you can’t make yourself a rebel.

- source

*

— Suppose it’s all true, and you walk up to the pearly gates, and are confronted by God. What will Stephen Fry say to him, her, or it?

— I’d say, bone cancer in children? What’s that about? How dare you how dare you create a world where there is such misery that’s not our fault? It’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain? That’s what I would say.
The god who created this universe, if he created this universe, is quite clearly a maniac, an utter maniac, totally selfish. We have to spend our lives on our knees thanking him. What kind of god would do that?

[Later on Fry apologised for any offence he might have caused] I don’t think I mentioned once any certain religion, and I certainly didn’t intend, and I know I didn’t, to say anything offensive towards any particular religion. I said quite a few things that were angry at this supposed God. I was merely saying things that Bertrand Russell and many finer heads of the mind have said for many thousands of years, going all the way back to the Greeks. I am astonished that it has caused so viral an explosion on Twitter and elsewhere. I’m most pleased that it’s got people talking. I’d never wish to offend anybody who is individually devout or pious and goes about their religious ways, and indeed many Christians have been in touch with me and said that they’re very grateful that things have been talked about.

source; source

*
В январе 2015 года 57-летний британский актер Стивен Фрай зарегистрировал отношения со своим 27-летним бойфрендом, стэндап-комиком Эллиотом Спенсером.

(гостьи - Эмма Томпсон с дочерью)

*
Весной этого года выдающийся британский актер Стивен Фрай целиком начитал роман «Евгений Онегин», полностью отказавшись от авторских отчислений от этой аудиокниги и разрешив свободно распространять ее в сети. За некоммерческим проектом стоял Дима Неяглов — дизайнер, журналист и продюсер, изначально ставивший перед собой одну-единственную цель: прочесть «Евгения Онегина» свежими глазами — «чисто для себя».
см. статью

*
см. также: письмо Стивена Фрая;
цитаты из книг Стивена Фрая

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...