Thursday, January 22, 2015

Humans of New York - by Brandon Stanton

ABOUT

My name is Brandon and I began Humans of New York in the summer of 2010. I thought it would be really cool to create an exhaustive catalogue of New York City’s inhabitants, so I set out to photograph 10,000 New Yorkers and plot their photos on a map. I worked for several months with this goal in mind, but somewhere along the way, HONY began to take on a much different character. I started collecting quotes and short stories from the people I met, and began including these snippets alongside the photographs. Taken together, these portraits and captions became the subject of a vibrant blog. With over eight million followers on social media, HONY now provides a worldwide audience with daily glimpses into the lives of strangers in New York City. It has also become a #1 NYT bestselling book.. It’s been quite a ride so far.
Feel free to follow along.

"We met on a camping trip. It was the week after junior year. I was the Vice President of the Ecology Club so I organized a trip to Patapsco State Park. We sat at the same picnic table for lunch, then we went hiking in the afternoon, and we ended up spending the night together. Well, I mean, we put our sleeping bags next to each other and held hands."

"I thought we had a close family until my grandmother died without leaving a will."

"She picked me up when I was hitchhiking 17 years ago. She was in a caravan of orange 1973 Volkswagen buses. It was the first car I saw. I wasn't even on the right side of the road yet. If I'd have been a minute later, I'd have missed her."
They also told me this joke: "How many hippies can you fit in a Volkswagen bus?" — "Two more, and a dog."

Facebook page

Brandon Stanton's thousands of not-quite-candid street portraits of New Yorkers (and accompanying captions, usually from the subjects themselves) have made his Humans of New York blog both poignant and extremely popular ― as well as garnering him recognition as one of Time magazine's "30 People Under 30 Changing the World." This book of the same title collects 400 of his best portraits, telling small stories that are outsized in their humor, candor, and humanity. - Amazon

В моих переводах

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...