Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Andrew Wyeth: I prefer the dead feeling of winter

Эндрю Уайет (Andrew Newell Wyeth, 12 июля 1917 — 16 января 2009), американский художник.

«Я не люблю путешествовать. После путешествия никогда не возвращаешься таким же. Ты становишься более эрудированным... Я боюсь утратить что-то важное для моей работы, может быть, наивность».

Ветер с моря (1947)
«Было жарко, я открыл окно, и вдруг, ветер вздул занавеску, которая не шевелилась, наверное, лет 30. Боже, это была фантастика! Тоненькая тюлевая сеть взлетела с пыльного пола так стремительно, словно это был не ветер, а привидение, дух, которому открыли выход. Потом я полтора месяца ждал западного ветра, но, к счастью, в памяти жил этот волшебный взмах, от которого – холод по спине».

Andrew Wyeth – quotes:

• Artists today think of everything they do as a work of art. It is important to forget about what you are doing – then a work of art may happen.

• I love to study the many things that grow below the corn stalks and bring them back to the studio to study the color. If one could only catch that true color of nature – the very thought of it drives me mad.

• I get letters from people about my work. The thing that pleases me most is that my work touches their feelings. In fact, they don't talk about the paintings. They end up telling me the story of their life or how their father died.

[on exhibitions] To have all your life's work and to have them along the wall, it's like walking in with no clothes on. It's terrible.

I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show.

• When you lose your simplicity, you lose your drama.

• What you have to do is break all the rules.


• I'm a secretive bastard. I would never let anybody watch me painting... it would be like somebody watching you have sex - painting is that personal to me.

• I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...