Monday, August 25, 2014

I can sit at the bottom of a well, isolated… Wonderful! (Haruki Murakami)

Haruki Murakami - at a Guardian book club:

I wrote my first novel in 1979. Since then, I’ve written every novel in the first person. I tried a couple of times to do the third person (it took me 20 years: the first was Kafka on the Shore) – and every time, I feel uncomfortable, like I’m looking down from above. I wanted to stand at the same level as my characters. It’s democratic!

*
Toru Okada [the protagonist of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle] is my hero. When I was younger I wanted to be like him. I just wanted to be a quiet person and live a quiet life. It’s not so quiet anymore! Life is strange.

Photo source

*
I love ironing. And I do my wife’s too!

*
It’s my lifetime dream to be sitting at the bottom of a well. It’s a dream come true. I thought: it’s fun to write a novel, you can be anything! So I thought: I can sit at the bottom of a well, isolated… Wonderful!

*
My imagination is a kind of animal. So what I do is keep it alive. I’m obsessed with the well. And the elephant. The refrigerator. The cat. And the ironing. I can’t explain it.

*
What is good about being a novelist? [a question from a member of the audience]
- “No commuting, no meetings, no boss.”

*
"I don’t know why I’m so crazy about cats. I like how they are soft and warm, and individualistic, kind of like me."
— Haruki Murakami, via 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...